In this lesson I will teach you the names of several emotions and feelings.
Spring and Emotions
Hello there, it’s already the spring and the flowers are coming back again to us like my lovely gardenia. This is one, this is two, this is my gardenia in my garden. Everything, life is renovating itself and because it’s the spring I want to share with you a lesson about emotions because life is coming back again to us, emotions are here again. Let’s go and learn.
- Definition: Emotion means ‘e7seis’ or ‘shou3oor’. ‘e7seis’ or ‘shou3oor’. Emotions, in plural, ‘a7asees’ or ‘mashe3ir’.
- Definition: Sadness means ‘7ezen’ in fus-ha and it is also correct in the Lebanese dialect. And we use also ‘za3al’. So sadness means ‘7ezen’ or ‘za3al’.
- Sentence: ‘I am sad, I want to cry’.
- If I am man: ana ze3lein baddeh ebkeh.
- I want: baddeh
- cry: ebkeh
- If I’m me, a woman, I will say: ana ze3leneh baddeh ebkeh.
- Definition: Now depression, depression means ‘e7bat’, ‘e7bat’ or ‘ka2abeh’, ‘e7bat’ or ‘ka2abeh’. So, depression means ‘e7bat’, ‘ka2abeh’ both are correct in fus-ha. She is so depressed. ‘Hiye ktir mo7bata’ for a woman, ‘howe ktir mo7bat’ for a man. Or, ‘hiye ktir ka2eebeh’, ‘howe ktir ka2eeb’. We also say a lot of ‘mdapras’. ‘mdapras’ comes from ‘depressed’ but we transform it into an Arabic word so it became ‘mdapras’ or ‘mdaprseh’. For example, I am depressed, ‘Ana mdaprseh’ (woman). And we also tend to do that with a lot of other words like when you want to say ‘I saved this document on the laptop’ we say ‘ana sayyavto’. We transform some of the foreigner words to the other one like the ‘did you save it?’: ‘sayyavto?’, ‘sayyavti?’. we conjugate this.
- Definition: Another emotion is angry or anger. Angry is ‘To3seeb’, ‘To3seeb’. Or when you want to say angry is angry we say ‘m3assab’ (man) or ‘m3assbeh’ (woman). For example, angry, sometimes you say ‘ana m2angra ma3e’. ‘m2angra’ comes from ‘angry’. My teacher used to say that the ‘andry’ came first from the Arabic and then they transform it to the ‘angry’ English version, I don’t know. So, angry, ‘m3assab’.
- Sentence: ‘My friend is always angry’.
- My friend: rfee2eh (if my friend is a man) / rfee2teh (if my friend is a woman)
- ‘My friend is always angry’: ‘refee2eh deyman m3assab’ (male friend) / ‘rfee2teh deyman m3assbeh’ (female friend).
- Definition: Now the positive side, happiness. Happiness is ‘sa3aadeh’ or ‘fara7’. Now we will learn words we say in Lebanese Arabic.
- Sentence: My cat is always happy to see me.
- Cat means ‘bseyneh’ for a female, ‘bsein’ for a male.
- My cat: bseynteh (female cat)/ bseyneh (male cat)
- My cat is always happy. ‘bseynteh deyman mabsouta’ (female) / ‘bseyneh deyman mabsout’ (male).
- ‘Mabsout’ is ‘happy’ in the Lebanese dialect.
- If I want to say my cat is always happy to see me, I say ‘bsayneh deyman byombosit bas yshoufneh’ (male) / ‘bsaynteh deyman btombosit bas tshoufneh’ (female)
- It is hard, this is hard. Don’t give it a lot of importance if you are a beginner.
Optimism and Pessimism
- Optimism: ‘tafe2ul’.
- For example, you should be optimist. ‘lezim tetfe2al’. ‘lezim tetfe2al’ is in general. For example if I want to say what’s wrong with you, you should be optimist with this situation then I say ‘lezim tkoun metfe2al’.
- Pessimism: ‘tashe2um’, ‘tashe2um’. So, ‘tafe2ul’, ‘tashe2um’. When I see a black cat, I become pessimistic. ‘When I see a black cat, I become pessimist’: ‘Lamma shouf bseyneh sawda/bsein aswad bseer metshe2am(m.)/mestshe2meh(f.)’
- Orgasm: ‘nashweh’. ‘nashweh’.
- Proud: ‘fakher’.
- Shy: I don’t know the world but if someone is shy, shyness is ‘khajal’ in fus-ha and the lebanese dialect, but in the Lebanese dialect we say ‘meste7eh’ for example ‘he is shy’: ‘howe meste7eh’/’hiye bteste7e’.
- Anxious: ‘ala2’, ‘ala2’. Or, for example, ‘she is always anxious’: ‘Hiye Deyman bte3tal hamm’, This expression is always used and it is expressive: ‘3etlein hamm’ which means that anxiety is eating you.
Well, I wish you had a great time watching the lesson. Tell me if you want me to repeat this lesson outside or you prefer it inside and have a great time. Thank you.